Wednesday, May 4, 2022

The Pastor Challenge - The Results

Yesterday, I went for my Century Ride.

Goal #1: Make the full 100 mile ride.

Goal #2: Do so in 6 hours or less.

Here's how I did:


As you can see, I met the first goal, but as you'll see, I fell a little short of the second. 

Here's how it went . . .

I found a route out on what is called the "Northern Neck" of Virginia - an area south and west of where I live. It is mostly farms and the terrain is a bit flatter. I figured that would give me the best chance of meeting my goals.

As I started out, I wasn't feeling my best. Not sick, but you know when you body is just "clicking" and you're having a good day or not. So not bad, but I knew I wasn't at my best. But this was my day to do it, so I had to just go. It was foggy, damp, and misty the first 15 or so miles, but not bad. It was overcast all day, which was nice so the sun didn't heat things up. I never rode in this area before, so my first out and back (40 miles) was getting to know the terrain. 

One thing I didn't think about when I chose this area was that flat and open would also mean more wind! The upper part of my course, the first 5-7 miles, (which I had to do twice) was very windy! A head wind from a storm coming up from the south. That made that part a little tougher. 

My first 50 miles, I was just a hair over my goal time. Here's that split:



3:03 at 50 miles. So unlikely that I would do the second half faster, but still, I thought that wasn't bad (though I did not know it at the time - I just kept trying to keep going!). 

One highlight (hint: sarcasm) at the end of my first leg of 40 miles was being chased by a couple of dogs! One was small, so I didn't worry about him too much. But the second was rather large - and I thought, Great! All I need is to get bit on the calf and ruin my ride! But fortunately, he did not catch me.

Miles 60-85 were probably the toughest for me - still a long way to go, but getting fatigued. Just had to keep going. Then, miles 85 to the end were just finishing the last leg and getting closer and closer to the finish line. My 100 mile split:



6:18. That means 3:15 for the second half. All in all, not bad. Though I didn't meet my goal of 6 hours. I gave it all I had, just couldn't quite do it. 18 minutes too much over 6 hours, though, means I missed by 3 minutes per hour. Not a lot.

A true highlight of the ride was seeing two male bald eagles sitting in a field. I wished I could have stopped and taken a picture. There were a bunch of turkey buzzards picking at something and the eagles were standing there watching them - I guess they wanted it!

So if you've been waiting to sponsor me or the Lutherans for Life team in the Walk-Run-Ride for Life to see if I would make my challenge, wait no longer! I kinda did, made the full 100, just a smidge too slow. So click on the Pastor Challenge tab above and make a donation for us! And remember, we are expecting our matching grant to be approved to double whatever you are able to give. Thanks for your support!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Pastor and thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Anonymous said...

You did a fine job and we are proud!