Friday, April 22, 2022

Update II

Another update as I prepare for my Century Ride . . .

On Wednesday I woke up early and went for a 75 mile ride. I went a bit slower than I will have to complete 100 miles in 6 hours, but intentionally so. I wanted to see how I felt and didn't want to hit a wall - that is not fun at all! I felt pretty good most of the ride and finished well. So I know I could have gone a little farther, but not 25 more miles. So will I be able to do a full 100? I don't know.

But part of the problem was that the trail I was riding on, the W&OD, has a section closed for utility work. So you get detoured off into some neighborhoods. And it is no short detour - nor a smooth one! Lots of turns and HILLS! So pretty steep ones. I was surprised at the detour on the way out and by how long it was and how much traffic I had to wait for and weave through. I wondered if I was EVER going to find the trail again! But I did, rode out to the end of the trail, turned around, and then did the detour in the reverse direction. That was a bit easier; I knew it was coming. But the hills in it were still steep and tough. So, I figure, if I can map out a route that is flatter, perhaps I will have the legs to do the full 100. In 6 hours? Not sure. First goal is to do the full 100. Second goal is the time. ;-)  I'm thinking right now that if I go down to somewhere south and east, out in King George County, I think that might have some long flat stretches and not too much traffic . . .

So, if you are reading this, please sponsor me! Or the Lutherans of Life team! Help us raise $10K for our local pregnancy center, each dollar (hopefully) to be matched, bringing our donation to $20K! That would be great! Click the tab above for the "The Pastor Challenge 2022" for more information and the link to make an online donation. Let's do this!




No comments: