Saturday, July 29, 2023

Higher Things - Day 4

(I'm writing this post Saturday morning, but will pretend I am writing it yesterday for consistency!)

Today is the final day of the conference. We have breakfast, Morning Prayer, the final plenary, getting the youth ready to go, lunch, and then the closing Divine Service. That's the schedule. For me, a little different. Instead of plenary, I'll be in the chapel setting up for the closing Divine Service and helping to start organizing and packing up all the chapel supplies that are no longer needed. Then, after the final service, it all has to be packed up and loaded onto a truck. Then we get to relax for the evening. :-)

Yesterday, I taught my breakaway for the second time, which is always a bit smoother, though it still wasn't as good as it should have been. A little more time and work would have been good. But that's probably always true. With sermons, too. 

I got to spend a little time talking with an old friend today, John (picture below). I met him waaaay back when I was in college and did an internship in Austin back in 1984. He let me rent a room from him in his house and rented me one of his cars to use for the summer. 

Here's an interesting tidbit: San Antonio has a big feral cat population. So the University here has adopted their own feral cat "colony" - they take are of a group of cats (12-14 or so), they feed and water them, spay and neuter them, get the vet care, and have them live on campus. Why? Because cats are territorial and this group keeps them others off the campus! How 'bout that? (Some pictures below)

Pictures!



Caroline (former member at Purcellville Mission) with boyfriend Daniel.
I got to pick on them in my first breakaway a little!


Pastor and Headmaster Steve Kieser from Plano, TX.


Pastor Jeff Ware from Charlotte, NC.

The next three are "my" summer vicars. They are actually Higher Things' summer vicars, but they were mine for the week and they were great! Made my job 100% easier. I don't know what I would have done without them.


James Gramzow (Ft. Wayne Seminary)


Justin Chester (Ft. Wayne Seminary)


Ben Heinz (St. Louis Seminary)


Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller from Austin, TX, one of our plenary speakers. I caught a good amount of his first plenary (which was great), but sadly missed all the second one - chapel duties. But that's okay. This week is for the youth, not me. (Though I DO benefit, too!)


Deaconess Mary Moerbe, Athanasian, now in Houston, TX.
(Her husband had a picture on a previous post.)


This is Mina, the service dog that was around for the week, with her owner Paige, one of the chapel "deaclets" (summer deaconess interns) that help me at the chapel as well. We had two deaclets and they, too, were indispensable!


Devon Jackson, our onsite EMT and future pastor!

Below are two of the cats that are part of the campus colony.
(My daughter saw more than I did. I think maybe she saw most of them!)




My friend John from back in the day.

Tomorrow I get to go home. :-)

No comments: