Thursday, July 27, 2023

Higher Things - Day 3

Second full day of the conference. Still some folks I have run into here that I need to sit and catch up with (#MaryMoerbe!). Yesterday was a very full day and today will be the same. But things seemed to go a little smoother overall yesterday. The hardest part of the day yesterday was after dinner. I spent too long at dinner talking with some friends (BUT an important conversation, so glad I did!). So then I had to get to the building where I was teaching my breakaway, find my classroom, brush my teeth (so I could sing in chapel later!), teach, go over time (surprised? 45 minutes is not enough time!), hoof it quickly over to the chapel, arrive out of breath 5 minutes before Evening Prayer is to begin, vest, and go! The good part? One of my summer vicars was standing there with my cassock in his hands all ready to help me into! Wow! We had actually planned for this - we assigned one of the summer vicars all the chanting parts at the beginning of the liturgy to give me a chance to catch my breath. ;-)

My breakaway went pretty well. A little bumpy. I allowed a little too much time for the kids to answer questions and telling my (relevant, teaching) stories so that I ran short on time (see above). I'll tighten that up a little today. I teach right before dinner today, so that'll be easier. 

I did get a little downtime yesterday. As I mentioned, I did get to spend some time at dinner with some friends, and I got to go with my daughter to see some of the talent show last night. Wow! The kids were really good! I was impressed. I also got to see and spend a little time with my nephew and his family (picture below). It was their daughter Josephine's 4th birthday, so they couldn't stay too long - they had to go get birthday dinner and unicorn cake! :-)

Today is the second full day, so will be on the go all day again. I'll leave the dorm a little before 7 am and get back around midnight. But first, some pictures . . .


The bell tower by the chapel - an impressive structure!


Mollie Hemingway. She met our kids at BWI and brought them here for us!


Pastor Ned Moerbe. He picked up our kids at the San Antonio airport and brought them to the campus!


My nephew, Pastor Adam Douthwaite, and his family with Joanna and I.


Professor John Pless from our Ft. Wayne Seminary.


Pastor Steve Cholak


Pastor Gary Piepkorn


Outside chapel after Evening Prayer. (We're going to try to get another group photo inside, too.)

But right now, time for my shower!

No comments: