Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Higher Things, Day 3 - First Full Day

Today got started with a bang as I met my old friend, mentor, and sign language teacher Dave Bush in the lobby of the student center. He looks exactly the same as 27 years ago!


Some other friends (and relatives!) - old and new - that I ran into today . . .


My nephew Adam (the "other Pastor Douthwaite" in attendance!)


Adam's wife Sarah, also a deaconess. Their church is in Dallas, TX.


Tom Olson, from NC.


Grace Martin!
The Martin family were members of our mission congregation before they moved to Texas.


Dr. Dan Brege, Indiana District President (for a few more weeks). His daughter Heidi attends my church.

So this is how the day went: breakfast, Matins, plenary session, Lunch, vespers, breakout class, panel discussion, another breakout class, dinner, evening prayer, a third breakout class, free time, compline to close out the night. There is some time between each of these to do some other things as well - to chat, do some pastoral duties, etc.

I taught my first breakout this afternoon. As some of you know, my topic this year is: A Small Catechism on Predestination. A meaty subject! But one that I think is important to have a conversation on with the youth. Lots of misunderstanding and bad theology on this out there. I felt like I did just okay. The room dynamic was quite different than I am used to. It was a large recital hall and I was up on a stage, so a bit separated from the folks. I think that made it hard for me to get feedback as I was presenting. But I received some good comments afterward and good questions at the end from the youth, so I guess that's a good sign. I get to do it again tomorrow, so that should be a little better.

Finally, here's our group photo:


Tomorrow: The Second Full Day

No comments: