Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Higher Things Days 0 and 1

Higher Things 2021 is here! Nice to be able to come after the Covid shutdown last year. Day 0 (Monday) was a travel day for us. We drove to Ft. Wayne and stayed overnight at the seminary. We also arranged to have dinner with the seminarian we adopted last year, Christopher Durham, and his family. It was a very nice evening.


Somewhere in Ohio (with one sleepy head!).


With Seminarian Christopher Durham.

On Tuesday we drove the rest of the way to Grand Rapids, MI. We had a little trouble finding out where check-in was, but we finally got there and settled into our rooms. Not too long after that the conference got underway with the Opening Divine Service and the first plenary session. Both were very good, but my voice was pretty tired at the end of the Divine Service! We sang a lot! 

After dinner was Evening Prayer, followed by the first of six Breakaway sessions. I was on the schedule to teach in this slot and it went pretty well - got positive feedback. A good crowd of people, too!


I'll be on again tomorrow night.

After this we had a couple hours of free time. Joanna and I first went to the "rap battle," where the lyrics to hymns are rapped to a beat. Pretty funny. They needed one more pastor to finish the evening, to battle against another pastor, so I was up. I'm a ham, so I did alright. :-)  Joanna recorded it, so I'll post it if we can get it from her phone to my computer.

After that, Joanna tried her hand at the rock climbing wall and did really well. Caleb went next (he'd done it before) and positively flew up the wall. Here are the videos:


Excuse the bobble toward the end - I almost fell down some steps moving back!
 


Now it's time for some sleep!

No comments: