Monday, August 9, 2010

The Church and the Business of Marriage

Will the church need to get out of the marriage business? I have thought this likely for a while now. With more and more states approving (or being forced to approve) of gay marriage, what will happen when the state tells pastors they have to do these kinds of marriages and not discriminate, or not do marriages at all? For me, the answer is clear: I will do no more marriages.

This raises questions among our people, though. Questions like: I want to be married before God (or by God) and not by a judge. How can I do this now? This will give us a tremendous opportunity to teach about the doctrine of the two kingdoms, the doctrine of vocation, and how God works through not just pastors, but others, even judges and those who govern. Marriage is God's institution and He is the uniter of a man and woman in marriage, even if that be through the ministration of a judge.

This was the case during the time of Luther, where couples were married publicly and civilly at the door of the church, and then came into the church for the Word and blessing of God. What a good witness to the two kingdoms and the role and place of each. Therefore we should not fear what is coming down the road, though a few brides may have to rethink their plans for their wedding and what that will look like. (That might be good too!)

And yes, I do think this is coming. In my state, Virginia, we passed a constitutional amendment stating that marriage is only between a man and a woman, but I'm sure it won't be long until activist judges shoot this down. Like in California. It seems as if the will of the people does not matter anymore. Who cares how those uneducated slobs vote? We judges know better. Yeah. And pretty soon, even the constitution will be unconstitutional.

"Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." (Luke 12:32)

1 comment:

Rev. James Leistico said...

perhaps this gets into the Bonhoeffer choice of leaving for safety or staying with the people - right now I would like to think I would still perform godly weddings until they arrested me or said they removed the authority to declare a couple husband and wife since I'd refuse to declare another couple husband and husband or wife and wife. But that's a rather easy statement to make when I don't have handcuffs about to be slapped on me.