Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Vocation of Delegate

One of the things that has made me sad over the last few years is the number of my brother pastors who have decided not to participate in Circuit, District, or Synod gatherings anymore. They are frustrated, saddened at theological developments, have been beat up, and see no good coming out of their participation. So they stay home. They are good, committed shepherds of their flocks that have decided to simply stay with their flocks.

However, I think part of our vocation in this church body is to serve our brother pastors with our presence. To serve as delegates, even when it may be hard. To encourage those who do participate and feel as if they are standing alone. To be a voice of truth, even if that voice is not welcome. For me, the business sessions of the convention are not where the most good happens - that comes around the lunch and dinner tables, at night over a beer, or in a hotel room, discussing issues of casuistry, theology, and pastoral care.

Last week, I sought out some trusted brother pastors for advice. I listened. We wrestled with some issues. I was also privileged to sit down and help others. I renewed friendships with others. My brothers who were not there I missed. I hope they will reconsider next time. I know it is not easy, but if you are one of those who do not participate, know this: you are gifts of God to His church. We need you.

1 comment:

Rev. James Leistico said...

one of my thoughts on this issue has been: Some (not all) excuses for not attending conventions sound awfully similar to excuses given by laity for not attending various events at the local congregation.

Thanks for this encouragement.