Sunday, December 28, 2008

What to do?

My last post was entitled Christmas Joy - perhaps I "spoke" too soon. I received in the mail yesterday a letter from two dearly loved members of my flock that they are leaving our church for another confession. Being in a small congregation (and perhaps pastors in larger congregations feel this too), this kind of news always hits me hard. Perhaps this is something of what Mary felt - the mix of joy and sadness of which Simeon spoke.

So what to do? I can't ignore it, I can't change it, and I know that our Lord is watching over His flock, so what to do? Thinking about that this morning, I have determined to reach out - to call pastors I know and encourage them. Pastors who I know go through the same joy and sadness that I go through. I can encourage them and preach to them of Christ's love for His church and for them, and through my preaching, perhaps even "convince" myself.

2 comments:

John said...

Brother James,

Those situations are painful. Lord knows I've tossed such situations around in my mind longer they merited. We tend to take such things personally. May the Lord grant you peace. He will provide. J. Gutz

Mary Jack said...

Oh, pastor, my heart goes out to you. I would never want to leave your parish. You helped me to learn what a true pastor can be. Mary M.