Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Different Views on Faith

I was reading something recently which talked of different views of faith. It goes something like this:

Evangelical Churches: Faith is such a great work that we are saved by faith. Faith is what we do.

Roman Churches: Faith is not a good enough work; it must be supplemented by good works.

Lutheran Churches: Faith is not our work, but the work of God in us by which we receive the gifts of God.

So, how do you know you are saved?

Evangelical Churches: Because I believe! (My work, my decision, my choice)

Roman Churches: Because my faith is completed by my love and good works.

Lutheran Church: Because Jesus saved me and has given me the gift of eternal life.

Interesting, no? Different views of faith can lead to other very different theologies . . .

(Note: I am painting with a very broad brush here, and I am NOT trying to say who is saved and who is not! But different churches (confessions) do think differently about things . . . )

No comments: