Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Armed Forces Cycling Challenge Result

Saturday was the day of the Armed Forces Cycling Challenge. Me and approx. 1,200 others! I wasn't sure what a mass start like that would be like on bikes, but it was fine - the field spaced out pretty quickly and the ride was enjoyable.


When we started lining up. It got a LOT more crowded!

We rode out of Arlington, past the Pentagon, past Arlington National Cemetery to a turn around and then back to the start/finish line - a 6.5 mile loop. The ride out was definitely a bit harder than coming back - both a bit uphill and a head wind. I felt pretty good, though I was not as ready for this as I was for my century ride last month. Just didn't have the time or energy to devote to harder training. 

I did about what I expected, though: 8 laps (52 miles) in 2:53. The screen shot of my place and results is below:

I know, pretty small! If you click on it you can expand and see better. 

As you can see, I finished right in the middle of the pack. The best riders finished 11 laps and they were moving! Passed me like I was standing still. But I have a goal for next year now. NOT to be up with them - that's too big a leap, I think. But to try to do at least 9 laps next year. That would boost me up to a gold medal from the silver I got this year for 8 laps. 

One of the highlights of the ride was on the last lap, when another rider came up next to me and asked, "How old is that thing?" (Referring to my bike!) Yes, I probably had the oldest bike in the field - 35 years I've had it. It's not fancy like so many of the others there - an old steel war horse that just keeps on going! But maybe if I had a newer bike that would make a difference in my speed? (Some think so.)

Anyway, here's an after picture - I didn't wait to take a picture in front of the banner, the line was too long!


No comments: