Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Sola Scriptura

File this under "warming a pastor's heart" . . .

I begin my catechesis by telling folks not to believe something just because I tell them - believe it because it is what the Scriptures say. I help them understand the Scriptures and the totality of them (not just cherry picking verses) but Scripture is the authority, not me. 

That teaching really helped a young man in my congregation who now goes to a Roman High School (the public schools here have lost the trust of many). In his religion class, the priest said that Mary was sinless. He asked, "Is that in the Bible?" To which the priest had to say no! But we can infer it . . . The young man didn't argue and make a scene, but he made his point. :-)

Things like this make all the effort worth it.




No comments: