Thursday, February 13, 2020

Book Review: The Bestman, the Bride, and the Wedding

I bought this book eons ago, and it sat on my shelf waiting to be read someday. I was reminded of it recently, looked for it, found it, and needing something to read while riding my bike and exercising (not outside but on an indoor trainer!), I read it.

This book is an allegorical retelling of Christian history, from the fall into sin to the great wedding feast of the Lamb in His kingdom. Of course, it doesn't retell everything - that would take far too long! But it hits the important events and enables you to see them and think about them in a new way. That is a strength of this book. And for me, three specific episodes stood out: the expulsion from the Garden of Eden and what life was like outside the Garden in a world of sin, the execution (biblical crucifixion) scene, and the final judgment. The execution scene in particular, where Jesus is speaking with satan and taking ALL the sin of ALL the world upon Himself is well done.

The other thing that stands out in this book is how the Office of the Ministry is woven throughout and portrayed. I wish I would have read this earlier in my ministry (which I could have, of course, since it sat on my shelf for a long time!). This would be a good book for seminarians to read.

So if you like allegory, this is a good book to read. If you don't know if you do or not, give it a shot. You can buy a used copy cheap through Amazon.

No comments: