Friday, July 13, 2018

Higher Things, Days 4

Thursday. The penultimate day. Always lots going on. And always the peak of the free time entertainment for the week. :-)

The morning is the regular routine: breakfast, Matins, announcements, and a plenary session, followed by lunch. The afternoon starts with Vespers, then two breakout sessions, followed by dinner. I taught my breakout for the second time on Thursday afternoon - they gave me the first and last sessions of the conference! But it went pretty well. Always smoother the second time around. I did also manage to get a little more other work done, squeezing it in here and there - but not enough. Next week's gonna be tough. :-(

After dinner was Evening Prayer and then free time. Kitty and I entered the "Chant Off" which is putting the lyrics to modern songs to chant tones - not to mock chanting, but to mock the words of modern songs, which sound so ridiculous when chanted. It's a lot of fun. We entered as a duet (a bit unusual) and got second place! :-)  We actually should have won, but that's another story . . .

So today, a normal morning, but then the closing Divine Service in the afternoon, and then the loooong drive home begins. (Did I mention it's going to be loooooong?)

And the pictures you've been waiting for . . .


Costume contest.


Kitty and I in Round 1 of the "Chant Off"
(Yes, I know the quality isn't very good. I'll post more when I get them.)


Waiting for Matins to begin.


Group photo . . . but all is not well . . . see any mischievous looks here?


Then this . . .


Then this!

And a few more friends . . .


Pastor Randy Blankschaen and Bob Myers from Pensacola, FL.


Pastor Ian Pacey, now in Texas, but who I first got to know when I was in NY and he was helping a parish in Greenwich, CT.


Pastor Steve Cholak from Roswell, NM, who helped interpret the conference for the deaf.

No comments: