Saturday, April 23, 2011

Writing an Easter Sermon

Lots of posts today! My juices are flowing again . . .

It's a funny thing. No matter how hard I try, it seems near impossible for me to write an Easter sermon early. I studied and read and had pages and pages of notes, but writing? Nothing would come. I have to first go through Holy Week with its readings and the liturgies of Holy Thursday and Good Friday, and then! then the thoughts and words come joyfully. It seems to happen that way every year. And though I do wish I could get things done ahead of time, I must say, I love it! I love writing this sermon on Holy Saturday morning and anticipate preaching it tomorrow, even as I anticipate the Vigil and the quiet calm and joy of this night. There's just nothing like Holy Week.

No comments: