Saturday, March 5, 2011

Birdfeeder Edition

We like to feed the birds at my house. In my backyard, we get the usual Sparrows, Chickadees, and Juncos, but also Titmice, Nuthatches, Carolina Wrens, Golden Finches, House and Purple Finches, Downy Woodpeckers, Red-headed Woodpeckers, Cardinals, Blue Jays, and Morning Doves. It is great fun to watch them all and the different ways they eat.

Yet we also get what we call the "pig birds" - Starlings and Grackles. When they come, they can clean out our feeder in a day! We try to chase them away in favor of the birds we like to watch, but it is a losing battle. It's not that I don't want to feed them, but it would be nice if they would leave some seed for the other birds! Seed isn't cheap. I don't have a solution to this problem, so we just do our best.

Today I am working in our dining room and having just refilled our feeders, am watching the birds as I think and work. What a great variety our Lord has given us to enjoy - even the "pig birds."

No comments: