Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hymns, Part 2

I am a day late providing the good advice I received about hymns that I promised in my last post, but here it is:

Do not have favorite hymns.

Why not? Because hymns should not selected on the basis of being my favorite or someone else's favorite, but because they highlight and underscore the Word of God being read and proclaimed that day. This also avoids the trap of trying to make sure you sing everyone's favorite hymn during the year. Sorry, don't do it that way. It's all about theology, not likes and dislikes.

So sorry, no polls and surveys of favorite hymns. Just (hopefully) a Divine Service each Sunday, where the hymns, readings, sermon, and liturgy all complement one another and proclaim Christ crucified as a tightly knit and seamless whole.

No comments: