Monday, November 9, 2009

What Was That?

Yes, I'm still alive! Sorry (once again) for my long delay in posting anything. I have good intentions, but so precious little time these days. I am not complaining, though. I keep reminding myself that God has blessed me with so many opportunities. I am very fortunate.

Yesterday in church, we had a little furry visitor. I had actually seen him in the building before, I believe, quite some time ago at a Bible Class. Yesterday, however, he decided to make his presence known during the sermon and the prayers! I got a bit distracted, but continued. Some folks managed to get him out the door without too much disruption before the Lord's Supper began - I was going to stop the service and take care of him before trying to distribute the Supper! But gratefully, I didn't have to.

But what was this little critter? He was not a chipmunk, for he had a tail like a squirrel. But at the same time, he did not look like a squirrel either. His markings were different and his eyes too big. I had thought (when I saw him before) that he was someone's pet who had escaped. I still think so. So, I did a quick Google search for "pet rodents" and found this:

He is called a "Sugar Glider" and his description certainly seems to fit the little guy I saw yesterday! The information also said it is often mistaken for a flying squirrel, which many in my congregation thought it was after he launched himself off my pew near the pulpit! If it was this guy (and I'm certainly not sure!), he is an Australian marsupial and most certainly was someone's pet. I don't know if we'll ever see him again, but if so, perhaps we should try to catch him in a box instead of shooing him out the door and get him a good home.

Anyway, if this *was* him, it makes Dr. Veith's post on the day (read it here) even more amazing! For, to top off all that he wrote, his family brought along a visitor to church yesterday from . . . can you guess where . . . Australia! Things that make you go hmmmm. :-)

2 comments:

Wolf Pack said...

I don't know about the Sugar glider thing... Ian spent a lot of time looking at it (it was running up and down by us for a bit) - yup, I'm not sure he was listening to the sermon. He said the picture is wrong - shorter tail, no white and brown on the face. and he says it had a white belly. I only caught a couple of glimpses. Was sure Different though! :)

Rev. James Leistico said...

we just had a four year old "monkey" running through our pews on Sunday during the sermon... no need to use the internet to identify his species since it I know my first male offspring well... needless to say, we had a talk after church