Friday, January 9, 2009

Closed Communion

I appreciate this thought from Pastor Weedon on this topic. Close(d) communion is something folks in my congregation (and I) struggle with. While we do practice close(d) communion, we do not like it - which, as Pastor Weedon points out - is proper! One thing we do each week in our Prayer of the Church is pray both for those who commune and those who do not yet commune with, praying for unity in our confession and looking forward to the day when we are all united as one around the Lamb in His kingdom, which will never end.

I guess what struck me (which I never heard verbalized before) is that we don't have to - and shouldn't! - like this practice. But we do it in love for our Lord's Word and love for those who do not yet confess the truth.

No comments: