Wednesday, March 11, 2020

If Your Beloved Son, O God

If Your Beloved Son, O God
LSB #568

v. 5: My guilt, O Father, You have laid
On Christ, Your Son, my Savior.
Lord Jesus, You my debt have paid
And gained for me God’s favor.
O Holy Spirit, Fount of grace,
The good in me to You I trace;
In faith and hope preserve me.

Who saved you? The Father? The Son? The Holy Spirit? Yes! All three. All of God working for all of you. Holding nothing back. Sometimes we limit our thinking, that it was Jesus who saved us on the cross. That is certainly true. But the Father and the Holy Spirit are equally active. The Father giving His Son who willingly comes in love for us, and the Holy Spirit who takes what Jesus did for us on the cross and gives it to us. And the God who thus saved us preserves us as well. God didn’t just save us and now we’re on our own. No! And good thing. We’d never make it. You know that from your own experience. Which of us has ever kept a New Year’s resolution for a whole year? Which of us has ever kept our Lenten disciplines for an entire Lenten season? How then can we persevere in faith all our lives? We can’t. But God can. And does. Through His Word and Sacraments the God who creates and saves us, now preserves and keeps us. So our faith and hope is in Him alone. For everything.

No comments: