Friday, March 20, 2020

God's Own Child, I Gladly Say It

God’s Own Child, I Gladly Say It
LSB #594

v. 4: Death, you cannot end my gladness:
I am baptized into Christ!
When I die, I leave all sadness
To inherit paradise!
Though I lie in dust and ashes
Faith’s assurance brightly flashes:
Baptism has the strength divine
To make life immortal mine.

This beautiful hymn proclaims the victory of Christ given to us in baptism over sin, death, and the devil. As God’s own child, we have nothing to fear from any enemy in this world. Baptized into Christ, they can kill us but they can’t take our life. Now, death is but the gate to eternal life. That freedom enables us to live in a way not before possible. In confidence, not fear. With joy, not sadness. In hope, not despair. Which is how Jesus lived. And with His life now given to us in baptism, it is our life as Christians. That doesn’t mean we won’t have our “moments” - we most certainly will! The things of this world and life may overwhelm us at times. But it means we have a way out - Christ! Relying on His words and promises given to us in Baptism, we can move forward in forgiveness and not dwell on the past. Jesus has taken care of that for us, as well as the present and the future. All that we need He has, and will provide. No wonder, as the hymn writer put it, death, you cannot end my gladness - nothing can! In Christ.

No comments: