Friday, July 24, 2015

Higher Things Day 3

(Sorry this post is late, but the internet on campus was out this morning and I couldn't get anything done.)

Wednesday is the longest day at Higher Things. Three of the breakout sessions (half) are today, along with the plenary. However, the day was enjoyable for me as I did not have to teach or lead anything, so I got to wear comfy clothes and enjoy listening. :-)

The first breakout I went to had the bishops of the Lutheran Church in Thailand and Ukraine talk to us via Skype. After hearing about their churches, challenges, and joys, the kids had a chance to ask questions. I think their situations were pretty eye opening for them. Here is a picture of the bishop from Thailand speaking with us:


I wish we had a little longer for this session. These guys were very interesting.

After that I went to see the art work in the Lutheran Church close to the campus here. A man in the congregation, a very gifted artist, depicted the Te Deum on the walls all around the sanctuary. It is very impressive. When I have more time, I'll post all the pictures with some explanation, but for now, here is glimpse:


Here you can see the panels wrapping around
the sanctuary.


Here is the prophets panel.

For the evening breakout I went with my daughter to listen to a campus ministry pastor talk to the kids about surviving your first year at college. He made many good points, and maybe can help me get something kick started at George Mason again, where we've been struggling a bit.

For the evening free time, I went to see a local improv group perform - very funny. And a couple more pictures:


Sarah and I waiting for the plenary to begin.
You can see how full this large auditorium is!


This year's official group photo.

Finally, the weather has been fabulous. The food . . . meh.

No comments: