Monday, July 5, 2010

Sinners

The longer I am a pastor, the more I appreciate many of Eugene Peterson's pastoral writings. While not agreeing with everything he says, he makes me stop and think and often offers some very good wisdom.

One thing he said has stuck with me: "You're congregation is filled with sinners. How come you don't expect them to act like it?"

Such a simple statement, yet one that has helped me greatly. When I grow frustrated or disappointed, I remember this, and it helps me come off my high horse, deal gently and patiently with my flock, and remember that I too am a sinner.

But it is not only me - I need to reinforce this mind in all the folks in my congregation. When member sins against member, when hurts cause problems, when conflicts arise . . . yes; why do we not expect these things in our congregation? Why do you not expect to be sinned against? The church is a place for sinners and forgiveness, not a group of folks who always get along famously. And so we sin and repent; we are sinned against and forgive. That is what separates us from the world: the love and forgiveness of Christ that we receive and give.

If only we remembered this more, would there be less fires to put out?

2 comments:

Rev. James Leistico said...

(taking it to the logical next step) Why do we not expect that there will be fires that need putting out, that is, How come we do not expect them to act like sinners when they are sinned against? Because naturally we are theologians of glory, in line with the Pharisees, pietists, enthusiasts, Wesleyans, etc. who have never sobered up from sin as much as we think we have this side of heaven.
And so, because it does not come natural, because we respond to sin with sin, St. Paul writes Galatians 6:1ff.

pax,
a fellow drunken peasant

Pastor Peasant said...

Thanks for this Jim. You are spot on. I am always learning the theology of the cross.