Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Former Members

I don't know why (perhaps the Holy Spirit prompted me), but I found myself this morning thinking about all the former members of my parish. In just my eight years here, it seems as if we have had a remarkable number of people both come and go. Some folks moved away, some left for other confessions, some left for other LCMS fellowships more suitable to them, and some received their transfer into the peace and rest of heaven. It is always sad for a pastor when any member of his flock leaves, for whatever reason. But I wish them well. And I thought I should pray for them today.

Lord Jesus Christ, Lord of the Church, by Your Holy Spirit You call, gather, enlighten, sanctify, and build Your Church. Thank You for all the saints You have led to Saint Athanasius over the years. Thank You for the blessing they were to us and for the Word they feasted on while here. Bless and keep them now, wherever they may be, and send Your holy angels to watch over and protect them from the evil one. Strengthen them in Your Word and faith, grant that they ever abound in love and good works, and may we one day be reunited around Your glorious throne in heaven in the feast which has no end. Amen.

No comments: