Monday, June 15, 2009

Thoughts on Pastoral Ministry

I’ve not posted in a while . . . part busy-ness and part lethargy! So perhaps some tidbits about pastoral care to get things going:

+ I am a proponent of smaller churches. While there are programmatic advantages in larger churches, I think there are better opportunities for pastoral care in smaller churches, where the pastor is better able to know his entire flock. But also over the past few years I have become keenly aware of this also: in a smaller church, while the opportunities for pastoral care may be magnified, the pastor’s flaws and mistakes are also. Thank God there is forgiveness for pastors!

+ As wonderful as the joys of pastoral care are, so heavy also are the pains. When the “light bulb goes on” and folks rejoice in the truth of our Saviour and His forgiveness, my heart leaps for joy with them. When sorrow and pain fill them, they fill my heart also. That’s not bad, but often difficult. It is for me to be there with them, bear their burden with them, and bring the Word of God to that time and place. I cannot “fix” their problem, but I bring the Word and forgiveness of the One who can. And so I try not to show too much of the joy or pain, but try to bring the quiet confidence of our Lord.

+ I love the lectionary! Why? Because the Word of God addresses and penetrates my people’s deepest needs every week. I often get the comment: “Those readings were specifically for me!” If I had to pick the readings every week, I would not do nearly as good and comprehensive a job. While I might select readings that address certain problems or issues that I know about, the lectionary cuts to the heart of the matter, addressing sin and unbelief - the issues we all have! - and presenting our Saviour. So the readings are specifically for them, because they are for us all.

+ One of my favorite sayings about preaching is this: “A preacher who is not simple in his preaching preaches not Christ, but himself.” (CFW Walther said that.) It is a good reminder for me. If my folks leave church not understanding the sermon, but thinking I must be pretty smart for preaching it, then I have failed. A sermon is best when the truth is heard and rejoiced in, and I am not even noticed. When the voice of the Saviour has spoken to and lifted up a broken sinner.

+ Finally, a multiple choice question for you: What is the greatest thing a pastor can hear?
a. “You’re the best pastor ever!”
b. “Great sermon, pastor”
c. “What would we do without you?”
d. “Pastor, I forgive you.”

Answer tomorrow . . . though I bet you can figure it out!

No comments: