Monday, August 16, 2021

Rap

OK. So if you read my posts from Higher Things earlier in the blog, you know I did some rapping at the conference this year, for one night there was a "rap contest." Let me explain . . .

The words to some of our hymns were printed out for folks to "rap" to a beat that was played for them. The purpose was two-fold:

(1.) Have fun. 

(2.) Teach how music makes a difference to the words of the hymn. You cannot just put these words to any music and have them fit. The marriage of words to appropriate music is important in the church. So by doing this, the kids see how true that is.

So, if this offends some, to use the words of some of our hymns like this, I apologize in advance. The purpose was not to be impious or irreverent in any way. And it's good for kids to see their pastors having fun, too.

So at the end, they wanted to have two pastors up there - I guess it had been mostly youth up til then. (I wasn't there for all of it - Joanna and I came in late.) So they had two of us go up. That's why you'll see another pastor up there with me.

So (with some trepidation) here it is . . . and please, appreciate the mic drop at the end! :-0


No comments: