Tuesday, March 16, 2021

40 Days Is a Long Time . . .

How you doing with you Lenten discipline? 40 days doesn't seem that long really, but it is! At least for me, it is hard to maintain my discipline and focus every year. Last year as part of my discipline, I wrote a devotion based on a hymn verse each day. I published those on this blog and people were expecting one each day, so that was good to keep me going. This year, it is not writing but some extra reading and study that I determined to do. No one would know if I miss and fall away from that, so hard to keep going! I've been doing pretty well so far. But it's not easy.

What got me thinking about this is a reading I did today which talked about Moses on Mt. Sinai for 40 days and nights, and the people of Israel getting tired of waiting for him. So, sometime into those forty days - we're not told how long - they gave up on him (the discipline of waiting for him) and got Aaron to build them the golden calf. I think I appreciate that more now. How hard 40 days is! But it is good at the same time. Basil the Great wrote about being "fortified by fasting" - which seems like an oxymoron! How can fasting strengthen and fortify you? Doesn't it weaken you? But there is a fortifying aspect to this, and to the 40 days of Lenten discipline.

So, a note of encouragement to you. Keep it up. Don't give up. Easter is coming! Passiontide starts this Sunday. Our joy is not far away . . .


No comments: