Monday, July 22, 2019

Convention Days 2-3

So what's the convention been like so far?

Tiring. Interesting. Tedious. Joyful. (I better put that in - it's the theme of the convention!) Busy. Frustrating. Satisfying. All of this.

I'm sorry I don't have pictures to post. I'll try to get some today. When the convention meets, we meet for long stretches with no breaks. When the breaks come, there are lots of people to talk to and lots to talk about.

The opening Divine Service (Saturday night) was well done, except for the sound system. Something horrid happened to that and most of the assembly couldn't understand what was being said until the sermon - and some even after that. They got it mostly fixed, and its been fine for all the business, but its too bad it had to be that way for the opening service. I was privileged to be asked to help distribute the Sacrament. My station was one of the farthest away - but I managed to get back to it without spilling the Blood of Christ! (Don't trip, don't trip, don't trip . . . :-)

The delegate orientation was a bit tedious. But I guess they have to be super clear and go super slow to make sure everyone is at ease.

I mentioned in my last post that my Floor Committee was going to have our open hearing time on Saturday morning, but it wasn't expected to be too busy. We were wrong. There were many people who came and spoke, and we are still working on an issue or two! This morning we will meet again and hopefully resolve (pardon the pun!) some issues. We're on at 11:05 (the first of our three presentation times), so we need to be ready by then.

Elections took place yesterday for the Vice Presidents - nothing unexpected really. The incumbents who ran were re-elected. The two spots open because of men stepping down were filled as I expected. The ranking of the VPs also was pretty much the same.

We did pass a bunch of resolutions. It is interesting to note what is a sticking point to those who speak which is not for me (and, I suppose, vice versa). Knowing what I know now about how Floor Committees work, I know that 95% of the comments on the floor were probably already discussed by the committee and a decision made about them. But the convention as a whole gets voice, too.

I've been able to spend some good time with my brother, who is a delegate also. We've had a lunch (sort of) and a dinner together. Good to catch up. This morning and tomorrow morning, we'll also have breakfast together (thus achieving the coveted meal trifecta!) as the LCEF VP for both of the non-geographic districts hosts for us.

Anything else? Well, it's been stormy, but so far I haven't gotten caught out in the rain. I also haven't had time to walk through the vendor exhibits and get some freebies. Well, that's exactly true. I've had some time, but caught up in conversation instead.

So today, more elections. As I said, my Floor Committee will be up this morning. We'll be meeting also this morning right after the opening Matins. So, more news tomorrow!