Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Tuesday Morning Coffee

Just some thoughts on a Tuesday morning . . .

My wife and I are transitioning to using an electronic calendar for all of our stuff. I have been resisting and using my paper one, but it is getting harder and harder to coordinate her stuff, my stuff, and family stuff that way without one central calendar that I can access wherever I am. So, we're moving. It'll take some getting used to, but I know will be beneficial in the long run.

Preaching. I was privileged to preach at my District's Professional Church Workers Conference last week. Know what I noticed? How much easier it is to preach in a church, from a pulpit, than preaching in the house church that we are forced to use at the moment, due to our building still being under repair. I have found it quite challenging preaching in that environment. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it was just so much easier in the church.

And speaking of our church, no, repairs still haven't begun. The contractor is still talking with (haggling?) the insurance company(ies). Hopefully soon. I am getting very worried now about mold in the building, and that even when repairs to the roof are made, that will only be the beginning of the problems.

I also think I understand why District Presidents tend to be full time and not also serving as pastors - it's not the time it takes so much as the emotional toll. A pastor hurts for his people, and a District President hurts for his pastors and congregations. I experience some of this as a Circuit Visitor. It's not easy. You can insulate yourself to a degree, but its still tough to bring bad news to a congregation, or to work with a pastor who is hurting.

My wife - what would I do without her? Without her forgiveness, understanding, unwavering support, encouragement, management, care, and wisdom? I don't even want to think about it. :-)

No comments: