Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Who Is Easter About?

Who is Easter about: Tim Tebow or Jesus?

I'm sure most of you have heard that Tim Tebow was "preaching" at a Texas megachurch on Easter Sunday. They were expecting 30,000 that day - it was like an outdoor rock concert, with a large stage set up in a big field. Turns out they got "only" 15,000. Hmmm. I wonder . . . did they get that many because of Tebow, or that few because of Tebow? From interviews I saw on the news, many came to hear him; but did others stay away because of him? Because they knew Easter should be about someone else . . . ?

Well, turns out that Tebow didn't really preach after all - he was interviewed by the pastor for about 20 minutes. I didn't hear the whole thing, but what I did hear certainly didn't focus on the death and resurrection of Jesus. Sad. Then the news cast mentioned that after the Tebow interview, many of the thousands began leaving . . . before the pastor preached his sermon! I guess for them, hearing about Jesus' victory and resurrection wasn't as important as hearing from Tebow? (Assuming the pastor's sermon was about the resurrection, which I will assume, to put the best construction on it.)

I find the whole thing very, very odd. I don't agree with interviewing folks in church or focusing on celebrities - but even if you do that, why in the world on Easter? Do it some other Sunday!

No comments: