Saturday, April 17, 2010

Testing Moses?

In the Treasury readings for today, we hear this word of God to Moses: "I have seen this people, and behold, they are a stiff-necked people. Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume them, in order that I may make a great nation of you."

What did Moses think of these words? Seems to me they may have sounded mighty tempting. In addition to being set free from this grumbling and complaining people . . . make a great nation of ME. A new patriarch. Greatness, recognition, honor. How often do we strive after and covet these things? I would think Moses would be tempted too.

But how does he respond? With prayer. He intercedes for the people, calling upon the honor of God's name and promises. He strives not after his own greatness, but that God's name be great in all the world. Here he is a type of Christ, who (Philippians 2) did not strive for greatness or equality with God, but made Himself nothing, interceding for us stiff-necked people, so that the wrath of God would not come upon us for our sins.

Lord, help me not think of myself more highly that I ought, but have this mind in myself as well: to serve and pray to the honor and glory of your name alone. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.