Monday, September 28, 2009

Sermon Tidbit

Since I haven't posted in a little while, I thought I better put something up to let you know that I am still alive!

So here it is . . .

Yesterday in the Divine Service we heard from Jesus that "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea." (Mark 9:42) In my sermon on this text, I made the observation of how fortunate we are that instead of being cast into the sea because of our sin, we are cast into the waters of Holy Baptism - waters of salvation and forgiveness instead of death and condemnation! These are the same waters into which "our Jonah" was cast, that the millstones hung around our necks might be hung around His instead, and His resurrection to a new life now be ours.

No comments: