Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Call Night

Last night was "Call Night" at Concordia Theological Seminary - the night when those men who are completing the preparation and formation receive their call into the Office of the Holy Ministry. Many do not know where they will be going until they hear their name and assignment announced that night. Every Pastor remembers that night - it is the culmination of a lot of work, and the beginning of much more! It is a joyous time.

Last night two of my congregation's adopted seminarians should have received calls. One did, one (it appears) did not. I would like to put the best construction on this, and say that his call is pending, that there weren't enough calls for all the men, or something like that. But it seems that there may (again) be retribution behind this - that he is being penalized for activities that he has done in the past. You see, before he entered the seminary, this man was very active and vocal in synodical politics. Those who now hold positions of responsibility and authority in our synod (notice I did not say power) did not like his activities, and (it seems) are letting it be known. I hope I am wrong. If I am shown to be wrong, I will gladly issue a retraction here, with my repentance and request for forgiveness. But right now, my heart is heavy for this man and his family, and I fear the worst. And I am saddened that something like this would happen in our synod.

1 comment:

Wolf Pack said...

Ugh, I agree with you, it is definitely a heavy heart moment. Will be praying for them.